dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

music, two kinds

Yesterday I went to my friend P's house to talk and practice harmonium. I'm learning the Sunday morning worship songs. It's interesting to get to know a new instrument--it's been years. The left hand works the bellows, and the right hand plays the keyboard. P says I'm working too hard, so next time I'm going to try more gentleness.

Then we went shopping for her son because he needs clothes for when he gets out of jail, which we think will be next week. We both don't like shopping, but we found some appropriate shirts, socks, shoes, underwear. The only thing we couldn't find was jeans. We think he's wrong about his size, which complicates things. Would it be better to second-guess him and get something that will fit, or should we obey orders and get the wrong size that he asked for? She's going to talk to him.

Listening to State Songs again, I like "Iowa" a lot. Iowa is a witch. It's funny. I like "Montana" a lot too. It's spoken as someone in his hospital bed about to die when he realizes that Montana is a leg. It's funny too. I feel like this album didn't find a lot of success, and I don't know why. Maybe it wasn't promoted very much. Maybe it was meant to be low-key.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home