dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

a feather out of place

The big news of today is that I was stir frying some spinach for lunch and found a feather in it. The spinach was the pre-washed kind in a bag from Trader Joe's. We figured the feather was clean and ate the spinach anyway. Maybe that was dumb. I don't like to be a trouble maker, but I thought I would bring the feather and spinach bag in to Trader Joe's when we go there tomorrow. Maybe they should know. I have macabre thoughts about this, such as "I feel sorry for the person who bought the spinach bag with the rest of the bird in it."

This morning I went to the Vedanta garden to sweep the steps of the Shiva mound and ran into my friend P. I helped her with some heavy weeding for a couple hours. It was sunny but not too hot. I took a break and ate some grapes right from the vine. I was the person with the shovel, loosening weeds, while P was the person on her hands and knees getting most of the weeds out. I also piled weeds into the greenwaste can and smashed them down, so many weeds that the can became the heaviest I have ever pulled, and I pulled it all the way to the area where greenwaste cans wait for trash day Thursday. It kept righting itself, it was so heavy, and I strained my muscles as I pulled.

Last night I baked some vegan cornbread. It turned out very sweet (probably too sweet). It's sweetened with maple syrup. Its vegan-ness is special because usually eggs hold cornbread together. It's made with whole wheat flour in addition to the corn meal. The recipe called for fine corn meal, but the co-op only had medium, so I used medium, and that was fine.

I got a form from disability today that asks really difficult questions--difficult because the questions are geared toward regular people who worked regular jobs. (I've worked only strange little occasional two-day jobs for quite a while now, as well as jobs running 12 days straight scoring SAT essays.) Erik's digging through paystubs to try to find information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home