dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, April 17, 2008

bee memory

When Erik and I lived in Verano at UCI, one day a swarm of bees came and settled on a tree right outside our front door. It was a loquat tree. (Firefox doesn't know what a loquat is.) We were about to go on a trip. We called the complex's management and told them about the bees. This was during some fear about Africanized honeybees. Someone came with a weird bee vacuum and sucked them up.

On that porch, I used to smoke. That was back when I smoked, long time ago. Also on that porch, one time we saw a baby mouse that was alive but stayed absolutely still.

1 Comments:

  • At April 17, 2008 9:04 PM, Blogger Amanda Laughtland said…

    Wow, I never knew there was such a thing as a bee vacuum! When I was a kid, we used to get wasp nests in the big rhododendron in the backyard sometimes, and my dad would wait until it was dark and then make a torch with some rags wrapped to the end of a long metal pole, and he would burn the nests; we used to watch in fascination through the window.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home