dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, April 07, 2008

super mail day

Today was a super mail day. I got a letter, two zines, and a book from my friend M in Brooklyn. The book is Rumi: Bridge to the Soul translated by Coleman Barks. This alone would be very nice. But it's signed! I guess Barks was at the Washington DC poetry festival that M was at. So I'm imagining M waiting in a long line and saying to Barks, "Her name is Laura-Marie! She's a poet too!" because it says, "for Laura Marie with love and for her poetry, Coleman Barks" And he drew some swirls.

Besides this, I got two other letters and another zine. It's quite luxurious around here.

Gardening with P this morning was good. Instead of pulling weeds behind the Krishna pond, we were pruning bushes our front. My arms got a little scratched.

Swami paid us a visit. He told us how nice a day it is. I recently dropped all formality with Swami. When he says, "Hello, Laurie Mary," I just say hi, as opposed to, "Good morning, Swamiji," or something along those lines.

I'm going back tomorrow morning at 8. P kissed me goodbye.

I amended my broccoli soup recipe--I've been adding canned pumpkin to the individual bowlsful, and it's nice.

I so don't want to go to my mental health place today. Feeling a bit cranky. And I haven't scored even a minute yet today.

I'm so happy, though: someone--I won't say who yet--is interviewing me, and the questions are brilliant. All I want to do is work on the interview and write letters and read Proust. Life is getting in the way of art!

4 Comments:

  • At April 08, 2008 4:30 AM, Blogger Issa's Untidy Hut said…

    Hey, LM:

    Had to write when I read the post and you said all I want to do is read Proust! I just finished the new translation published in England, the one done by different translators for each volume. It's my second time through (I read the original translation many years back) and, well, all I want to do is start again! It is amazing. Right now I'm reading a little book called "The Magic Lantern of Marcel Proust" by Howard Moss that in very few pages manages to put a lot of things into perspective that I wasn't able to do on my own. I'm happy to hear you are in Marcel's thrall.

    best,
    Don, Lilliput Review

     
  • At April 08, 2008 9:25 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi, Don--happy to see your comment. Come to think of it, your last mail included a note saying you had been sick and reading Proust in bed. I'm glad his book pleases you so much, and I envy you for getting a hold of the new translation. More soon.

    love,
    LM

     
  • At April 09, 2008 3:28 AM, Blogger Issa's Untidy Hut said…

    LM:

    FYI: after getting the first two volumes of the new translation here, I was able to buy the rest in a bookstore in Toronto when I was there with my wife for a conference. It looks like they are available through amazon.ca - Canada. Much better rate of exchange than UK.

    Don ...

     
  • At April 13, 2008 8:55 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi, Don. Thanks for the tip. I put a letter in the mail to you. I have no idea what I said, though. I should take better notes!

    LM

     

Post a Comment

<< Home