dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, September 01, 2008

fake cream cheese

I bought some fake cream cheese made by Toffuti at Trader Joe's tonight and was super disappointed to see that it's got partially hydrogenated oil in it, which means it's got trans fats in it. I just glanced at the ingredients in the store, knowing it was vegan and thinking it would be good nutrition-wise. Oops.

I'm about two thirds done with the proofreading I'm doing for P. I've had some questions involving things like when a number should be written out. I'm doing my best. I would love to take a proofreading class to make sure I was doing everything just perfect. Books for this must exist?

5 Comments:

  • At September 02, 2008 7:11 AM, Blogger Amanda Laughtland said…

    I did a little proofing in an internship, and we were supposed to check in the Chicago Manual of Style when we had questions like the one you had on numbers. But there must be other books (and websites) with guidelines for proofreading.

    Bummer about the Tofutti cream cheese!

     
  • At September 02, 2008 8:18 AM, Blogger Ephemeral Mailbox Museum said…

    It's interesting to hear about your dairy replacement and vegan alternatives research. I'm only vegetarian but since I do eat a lot of dairy, I'm interested in finding substitutes, too.
    I've definitely found it interesting that a lot of veggie and vegan things are not necessarily healthy or have heavily processed ingredients or trans fats...

     
  • At September 02, 2008 8:11 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi, Amanda. I know you're right--I should have found a manual of style or looked online for the info. I guess I felt pressed for time, or I thought I should trust my instincts, but then I doubted myself.

    Sweet tooth, you bring up such a good point about the veggie and vegan food being processed and not necessarily nutritious. I wish it weren't so. That fake meat I like is a totally processed food, and I know I'm cheating somehow. I really need more veggies in my diet, and there's no getting around that.

     
  • At September 03, 2008 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi L-M,

    Would you like to borrow my Little Brown Handbook?

    ~ Hethre

     
  • At September 04, 2008 8:08 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi, Heathre. I'm not familiar with the Little Brown Handbook. I would love to look at it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home