dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, September 01, 2008

honey banana bread

I made some banana bread today, new recipe for me, and it's just about the best banana bread I've ever tasted. It's not vegan because of the honey, but I'm using up my honey (we're not throwing away our non-vegan things but rather using them up).

Here it is!

1/3 cup butter (I used oil)
1 egg (I used Ener-G egg replacer)
1 cup honey or maple syrup (I used honey)
1 cup mashed banana
2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used 3/4 cup walnuts)

With a mixer, beat together the butter, egg, honey, and banana. (I didn't use a mixer.)

Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture and stir until moistened. Fold in nuts.

Pour into a greased (large) loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes. Turn the oven down to 300 and continue baking for around 30 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly pressed. (I baked until a knife inserted came clean.)

3 Comments:

  • At September 01, 2008 6:39 PM, Blogger Amanda Laughtland said…

    That sounds good. I used to make "honey brownies," and they were the best brownies ever, very moist and sweet. But I seldom buy big enough amounts of honey to make the recipe.

    Question for you! Any tips for substituting oil for butter? I have wanted to do this in baking to save on saturated fat, but I have wondered how it would work. Do you substitute 1 for 1?

     
  • At September 01, 2008 7:33 PM, Blogger HardtravelingHero said…

    All baked goods require chocolate chips or chunks.

     
  • At September 01, 2008 7:49 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi, Mandy. I substituted 1 for 1 this time--the recipe calls for a third of a cup butter, and I used a third of a cup oil. I don't know if it would work well for larger quantities.

    Hardtravelinghero, I would agree with you, but I don't eat chocolate, so I'm living a life without.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home