dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, November 15, 2008

how it went

Last night was rough. Someone yelled in some other language (didn't sound like a language I'm familiar with, which is strange). Then later, loud music booming from a car in the parking lot and people yelling. That was 2:30. Then later still, loud music booming from a car again, and more yelling--I got up and put in earplugs, which really helped.

This morning we went to the protest against prop 8. It was different from how I imagined it would be. I actually didn't know what to expect. It was like a rally, with songs and speakers. We chanted very little. What do you want? Equality! When do you want it? Now! I liked the chanting best.

Erik said there were very few counter protesters, but they had big signs. I tried not to look over there.

I expected thousands of people, but Cesar Chavez Park wasn't even full. It was interesting to see the cops on horses.

Then we went to P's apartment to drop off the manuscript I was proofreading and pick up a new one. We talked in P's living room for a long time. We talked politics and talked about his oral history work and looked at books. He told us stories. He gently teased us, which made us laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home