dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, May 01, 2009

Pt Reyes

Yesterday we went to Pt Reyes. The most exciting thing that happened was we saw whales. I was sitting on the beach, gazing out to sea, when I saw something large edge a little bit out of the water. At first I thought maybe it was a rock. Then I realized it was behaving like a dolphin but much larger, and it must have been a whale. I called Erik over, and we watched together. We saw some spouts. Later, when the whales were far away (they were moving left to right along the coast), we saw some fins. Maybe flukes--maybe side fins? I don't know. It was our first time seeing whales, and we wonder what kind they were.

Otherwise at Pt Reyes, we hiked a short hike to Chimney Rock, but once we got to the spot, we couldn't figure out which rock was chimney rock. None of them looked really chimney-like. We saw wild flowers: blue-eyed grass, wild irises, California poppies, lupine blue and yellow, radish, mustard, and lots whose name I don't know. We saw beautiful cows. We saw ravens. We saw humans and a cat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home