dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, July 13, 2009

in Missouri

Tonight my parents and Nana are watcing a baseball game. I've been reading Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. Today we went to see Granddad's grave and ate at a meaty buffet restaurant in Salem called Stephen's Steakhouse. I liked the mashed potatoes and the bread. Last night I saw fireflies for the first time, and in the day I saw a cardinal. I had never seen fireflies on tv or anything and had no idea they were like that. I thought they'd be really faint and that their lights stayed on and imagined them flying around together like a school of fish. I had no idea they'd look like embers flying up from a campfire without the fire, or like a hallucination--they're really something. Almost bedtime. It's dark in here, so I'm typing in the dark.

4 Comments:

  • At July 14, 2009 2:26 PM, Blogger Amanda Laughtland said…

    I was thinking of you this morning and wondering how you're doing on your trip, so I was extra glad to see your post. :) I've never seen fireflies either.

    Katie H is coming to Seattle, and we are going the Portland Zine Symposium together! I am very excited.

    Take care.

     
  • At July 19, 2009 9:12 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi, Amanda! I am so happy Katie H is coming to Seattle and you're going to the Portland Zine Symp together! <3

     
  • At July 22, 2009 8:41 PM, Blogger HardtravelingHero said…

    I can't believe either if you have never seen fireflies before!

    There's an anime called Grave of Fireflies, but it's extremely sad. It's about post-WWII Japan and two little kids who survive the atomic bombs.

    I've always had fireflies in the summer in New York. I don't notice too many here in VA, but I don't like being outside in the apartment complex property much, day or night.

    The best place I've seen fireflies is in July at my sister's in Maryland. I remember last year, or maybe two years ago at my nephew's birthday party, it was just the adults outside at night talking and drinking and this one tree would light up like random Christmas tree lights. It was really beautiful.

     
  • At July 22, 2009 9:27 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Erik watched Grave of Fireflies--I knew it would be too much for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home