dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, September 11, 2009

lizard poem

My friend H asked that I blog this poem that I wrote last night in writer's group, so I will gladly.

Ode to Lizards

Dry skinned,
creeping,
warmth-loving,
green-brown
earth creatures,

I have seen you
on rocks
and fences.
I have seen you
do lizard
push ups.
I have admired
your scaled backs
and clawed feet
with tiny
lizard toenails.

When I was
a child,
I tried to catch you,
especially
baby lizards,
the little charmers.
And I have seen you
with missing tails.
I have seen lizard tails
on the ground
without lizards,
still flopping.

Lizards,
you remind me
of the earth's
dry promises--
tree spirits,
your delicate jaws
opening and closing.
Your eyes
flashing
in the sun.

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home