dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, July 03, 2010

my day in Oroville

Yesterday we went to Oroville so I could see my friend A and her kids. Erik took me to a certain park for us to meet. Then Erik hiked Feather Falls, which is the sixth highest waterfall in the US.

Meanwhile, A and the kids and I went to the river. The little one swam. The rest of us waded. We saw a crawdad and looked at beautiful rocks.

Then to dry off we went for a walk around the park. We stopped in the shade near the bathrooms. We read graffiti and ate blueberries.

Then the little one wanted to play in the sandbox. We sat in the sun more for a little while. I was wearing a hat and had put sunblock on my arms, which is uncharacteristic of me (but I didn't put sunblock on my chest, which burned).

Then we went to their house, and the kids showed me their toys. We played with Pokemon toys. I had been to their house before but never inside. I re-met the dogs, cats, and horses. I met the chickens and guinea fowl for the first time.

Then they wanted to walk two of the horses. But A asked me if I wanted to take one too. I declined. Truth be told, I'm afraid of horses, or I'm afraid of trying to control them. (She also offered to let me ride one, which I declined too.)

By then I was completely exhausted. I guess I don't have much endurance. While A and the older daughter walked two of the horses, the little one and I trailed far behind. I told her I wished I had a magic scooter, and she said she wanted one too. She'll be 5 in a week.

Then they took me back to the park so Erik could get me. I was afraid the park ranger person would be mad at us for being there so late. Last time we did this, the park ranger honked his horn at us while A and I hugged goodbye. This time there were plenty of other people there, and no ranger in sight.

So Erik and I drove home and got home late and ate sandwiches and went to sleep. The end!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home