dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, September 13, 2010

tale of the chicken haters, thrift store finds, ant-sized objects

Today we went to Fair Oaks and walked by the river and sat by the river. I worked on my letter to E and listened to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. I saw a tree full of egrets and saw when all but one of them took off in a flock. It was beautiful.

Then we got lunch at Sunflower. As we waited for our food, we observed a couple sitting outdoors at a table--they evidently hate chickens. They shooed the chickens away with great anger. Erik says one of them kicked a chicken. And I personally witnessed one of them spit on a chicken. She would blow in their faces to scare them away and progressed to spitting. I was disgusted and pretty amazed that anyone who hates chickens so badly would eat at Sunflower, which everyone knows is overrun with feral chickens. (Two women with a baby in a baby carrier sat down at one of these tables, and the one left with the baby shooed the chickens away too, but in a humane and normal way.) So we left and ate our lunch at the nearby park. Earlier I asked Erik if I should even blog about this, and he said yes. "Why not?" he asked.

"Because it's so negative," I said. And I'm angry to think about it again. Sorry if I pissed you off.

Then we went to one of our favorite thrift stores where I found a great pair of green corduroy pants for three bucks. Considering the jeans I already have, I think I'm all set for fall and winter. Erik found a great pair of hiking pants for two bucks. They're nylon and convert into shorts.

This afternoon and evening we did some fantastic cooking. I made Middle Eastern potato salad with caraway seeds and parsley and mint. It's so good! And Erik made Middle Eastern lentil stew with vermicelli and fresh basil. Boy was this food delicious.

I wrote a letter to L in Los Angeles and wrote some reviews for ELM 48 and replied to some threads on We Make Zines.

There's this art project having to do with collecting ideas of objects that are the size of an ant, and I posted on facebook asking people to name an object the size of an ant. I got quite a few replies, so I'll send those along to the artist when I feel people are done replying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home