dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, November 17, 2011

perfect peanut sauce pasta

Oh my god--for much of my adult life I have been looking for a good peanut sauce recipe. Tonight I struck gold.

Vegan on the Cheap is a cookbook I really want, but the library doesn't have it! The recipe is from this book.

http://www.globalvegankitchen.com/SampleRecipes_VOTC.html

I'm going to show you the recipe as I amended it.

Penne-Wise Peanutty Pasta

3 garlic cloves, minced
2 green onions, chopped fine
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce (half regular, half dark)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
1 3/4 cups plain, unsweetened soy milk
12 ounces penne pasta
2 carrots, cut into very thin coins
2 cups small broccoli florets

1. Saute the carrots in a pot until they begin to soften. Add the soymilk to the pot. Gradually add the peanut butter, stirring well, to mix. When the peanut butter is incorporated, turn off the heat. Add all the other sauce ingredients to the pot.

2. Cook the pasta in boiling water until al dente, about 10 minutes.

3. Microwave the broccoli for four minutes.

4. Drain the pasta and combine the pasta with the broccoli and most of the sauce.

This is so good. I realized I had too much sauce, so I didn't use it all. If I had cooked the whole 16 oz bag of pasta, and then the ratio of pasta to sauce would have been right.

But this recipe has so much salt in it. I would like to eat lots of it, but I'm restraining myself because of the salt.

The original recipe calls for 4 oz silken tofu, but I didn't want to buy some, so I just used extra soymilk. The original recipe also requires use of a blender, and I don't have one, so I worked around that.

If you like good peanut sauce, you should try this recipe! Thank you, Robin Robertson! Next time, I think some red bell pepper would be a good addition. And I could have used a little more broccoli.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home