dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

91

Tonight we went to a food distribution.  We thought we were going early, but our number was 91.  We were the 91st family to be served.  (Last month they got to 200.)

As we waited for our number to be called, we talked to our friend G.  We talked about the luffa.  And we met a chard missionary.  She was touting chard to all the people around.  When I told her I thought of her as the chard missionary, she told me she was touting the butternut squash too.

The most exciting thing we got was dehydrated potato flakes.  Maybe you think I'm being facetious or kidding, but I'm not.  We got some nice macaroni too.  Potatoes, half and half--we got half and half last month too.  What do I do with it?  Make soup and add it at the end to make it creamy, is all I know.

The most interesting thing we got, something I had never had before, was watermelon juice.  It's actually agua fresca.  And it's delicious.

The mandarins we got are delicious too. They have an exquisite flavor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home