dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Om Bramarpanam

We left home at 5:45 this morning to meet friends in Stockton and take one friend with us here to Las Vegas.  We're in Las Vegas!  We stopped in Baker at Mad Greek Cafe for a late lunch.  I was on grackle-patrol but didn't see any (in the parking lot or on the patio or anywhere).  We saw ravens, though.

We're listening to yoga music, and I'm working.  I'm trying to perfect my recitation of a Sanskrit prayer said before eating.

Brahmarpanam Brahma Havir
Brahmagnau Brahmanaahutam
Brahmaiva Tena Ghantavyam
Brahmakarma Samadhina 

Hari Om Tat Sat

The act of offering is God, the oblation is God
By God it is offered into the Fire of God
God is That which is to be attained by the person
      who performs action pertaining to God


This prayer is common in my sect.  I love it though I have not said it enough to have it memorized yet.  I know the rhythm and sound of it but not all the words.  I called Swami tonight to ask what "Hari Om Tat Sat" means.  Hari is a very dense word, and Om is a sound-symbol that can't be translated.  Tat Sat means "That only is true."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home