dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ming and Laura-Marie's Excellent Adventure

For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts. --Yvon Chouinard

Well, we took off for Las Vegas and only made it 157 miles when BOB broke down by the side of the freeway out in the middle of nowhere.  We were on the phone with AAA for 50 minutes as they tried to locate us on a map.  Then we waited 45 minutes for the tow truck driver to arrive.  Then we were towed to the mechanic 40 miles back north to Los Banos.  Then we waited hours more.  Anyway, we drove away $385 lighter and in okay spirits.  It was the distributor and coil and something. 

We almost hit a road runner on the freeway too.  Ming made an unusual sound, and I looked up to see the road runner dodge BOB.

So we stayed the night in Los Banos then started south again.  We arrived in Las Vegas yesterday evening.  We have helped a little with the newsletter and are enjoying being here except for the heat.  I couldn't sleep last night for being too hot, and Ming the Loving Problem Solver went to the other house and snagged me a fan.

This morning we served the hungry with Catholic Worker and washed dishes including a huge metal oar, my favorite.  Next we demonstrate.

I never told you we served the hungry with Food Not Bombs on Sunday.  It was fun.  It was kind of like Las Vegas Catholic Worker but on a much smaller scale.  And vegan.  Catholic Worker serves food with meat in it, unfortunately. 

Some fanciful things: me telling Ming I want to live with him in a little house on the bank of a river and we have a pet cheetah named Bobby and teach it how to talk.  Me telling Ming that we need to throw the tv in the trash, and no one will know because we cover it with banana peels.  "We only have two bananas," Ming said, to which I replied, "Loaves and fishes!  We can pray that the banana peels will multiply." 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home