dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, August 20, 2015

green tomato bread imagined

I wanted to make some dessert bread with green tomatoes, like zucchini bread, where the green tomatoes are just there for moistness and fiber and to use the veggies up.

So I found a green tomato bread recipe but it calls for eggs and yogurt, and I wanted to make it vegan because of our vegan property-mate in case he wanted some.  And so I found a vegan zucchini bread recipe and just used the tomatoes instead.

I tried the batter and it tasted delicious, so I think the bread's going to be good.  It's in the oven.  I don't have any whole wheat flour so used all regular flour, and I hope that doesn't mess anything up.

My version is based on this one.  http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-zucchini-bread

six tbsp flax seed meal
half cup warm water
half cup coconut oil
half cup applesauce
two cups sugar (yikes I know)
one tsp vanilla
two and a half cups green tomatoes pureed
three cups flour
one tbsp baking powder
half tsp baking soda
two tsp cinnamon
one tsp nutmeg
half tsp allspice
half tsp salt

It's 50 to 55 minutes at 350, they say--until an inserted knife comes clean.  But I didn't preheat the oven, so maybe I'm looking at an hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home