dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, October 09, 2016

I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield down by the test site

This morning we went to the the test site.  We had liturgy.  I felt very left out because almost everyone there was Catholic.  Then there were a few Jews.  Nobody like me.  I didn't take communion (though I have before)--neither did Ming.  The service was beautiful and moving but not for me.

There was a marching band for peace and we processed to the line without Johnnie Bobb to lead us, which felt weird.  We encountered friends as we walked.  It was like a dream.  I held one of the butterflies.

Then when we got to the line--there were a hundred of us, maybe?--the band was still playing, and R crossed.  I was confused about what he was doing--he seemed to be trying to read something to the guards.

Ming suggested we cross, so he put down my butterfly and we held hands and stepped across the line.

So I was arrested again.  I was directed to a pen and went in to stand in the shade.

Meanwhile, some young women crossed and decided to resist arrest, sort of.  Rather than entering the pen easily, they kept walking into the test site.  I was confused about what they wanted to do.  I guess they wanted to disrupt the status quo of arrests there.

Some guards hurt the wrists of the women who resisted.  They called a dog over, the K9.  But they didn't have the dog attack.

In the pen we talked.  There were 12 women in our pen and 21 in the other pen, I guess.  Somehow in the confusion a woman was in the pen with the men.

So it was a pretty good arrest but not as satisfying as the one two weeks ago.  I'm sunburned.  We didn't get to sing our Mother song before lunch.  I wasn't really planning to get arrested.  We were late to lunch.

Then we left.  Everyone else was going to continue to Creech Air Force Base, but Ming and I didn't want to.  We passed Creech on our way home and saw there were maybe 20 police vehicles parked there.  Wtf.

Then we went to Whole Foods and bought expensive juice drinks.  I needed something cold.  I couldn't cool down though I had the car's air conditioning blasting on me for 45 minutes.

I drank and drank.  At home Ming and I lay in bed talking.  It took a couple hours until I was really able to cool down.  I feel fine now.

1 Comments:

  • At October 09, 2016 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well done laura-marie....

    I resisted today too. I resisted the rise of fascism by publishing a poem online... its a bit of a poor effort but I spoke my heart:-

    https://soundcloud.com/liam-starkey-2/vermillion-brexit-october

    you are strength....

    "the lion is within"
    Benjamin Zephaniah

     

Post a Comment

<< Home