dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Santa Cruz island

My body got so sore from hiking on Santa Cruz island.  I went about three and a half miles.  Probably to you that is not so far.  But to me, it's far.

I was motivated by A's urgings--he wanted to spend the time with me.  I thought I'd just sit at a picnic table near the the beach and write letters, which is my way.  But that was not A's plan. 

So I hiked up, up.  I had to stop over and over again.  He stopped with me.  He showed me spotless ladybugs.  We looked at little butterflies and the ground bees buzzing in and out of their ground holes.

Saw coreopsis, which I love, and some little succulents I thought must be the dudleyas, but then a volunteer told us where to see the dudleyas, special ones, special to that island.  She compared them to hens & chicks, which I found offensive.

And the long walk by the cliffs.  And the steep descent.  And the boatrides with humpback whales, dolphins.  I'm so glad I did it.  But my body still hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home