dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

avocado fantasy

I got to clean up the avocado plate after taco night.  Yum yum.

"Did you know avocados are my favorite fruit?" I asked Mom.

"No," she said.

"Better than bananas," I said.  "Do you think they count as fruit?"

"Yeah, why not?" Mom asked.

"Because they're not sweet like a fruit!" I said.  "Maybe they should count as veg."  I guess that's my personal fantasy.

It had been years since Mom made tacos.  Maybe before she thought the fried-ness was too fattening?  But now she loses weight too much.  Times have changed.

Earlier I'd told her the joke, "You can't make everyone happy. You're not a taco."  That's what made her think of making tacos.  But she wasn't sure she's have the appetite to eat any.

Then Ming ran into the store for corn tortillas for us.  We sat in Mom's car and she looked at a loquat tree growing in someone's backyard.

My brother requested five tacos.  We thought that was pretty wild.

When I told my niece to have a good day at school, she told me to have a good day too.  I said, "I will.  I don't have to go to school or anything."  Then I felt bad for saying that and added, "Sorry."

"It's ok," she said.  "You did your time."

It's true--I went to school for too many years.  I was impressed by her quick aptness.  Her immediate sharp understanding.  Teenagers are good at that, maybe?  She's 16.  Four tacos.  I had four tacos also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home