dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

a potato is a good thing to do stuff to

fried potatoes
hash browns
potato salad--mayo based
potato salad--olive oil, vinegar, salt, caraway seeds
potato leek soup
roasted potatoes
plain potatoes with butter and salt--Ming's Delight
twice-baked potatoes
cheesy potatoes
scalloped potatoes
potatoes cooked, mashed, mixed with legit veg, and fried as a patty or croquette
potato pancakes
potato chowder
potatoes in a supporting role in some other kind of soup
potatoes roasted with other root veg--carrots, sweet potatoes, rutabaga, turnip, parsnips, beets
breakfast potatoes made fancy with cheese, salsa, sauces
some kind of potato casserole
potatoes with beans or chili--good combination

What am I forgetting?  I don't wanna make french fries, chips, or mashed potatoes.

A long time ago, a friend took me to this restaurant--I think it was Brazilian.  My favorite dish was an appetizer--cold boiled potato slices with a special dressing on them, creamy and delicious, pale yellow.  There were hard-boiled egg slices too.

I realized just now that cold boiled potatoes with a lovely dressing and hard-boiled eggs basically = potato salad.  It was just presented in another way.  So I was googling Brazilian potato salad recipes.  I found one that I liked with lots of chopped olives and lime juice.


My point is to use this glut of wonderful yukon gold potatoes Mom gave me.  I don't want to buy a bunch of limes.  We're kind of without a vehicle, as our minivan has so much wrong with it right now, I don't want to drive it.  The ac stopped working in LA a few days ago, on top of everything else.

I'm feeling happy, like things are possible.  Earlier I was overwhelmed.  I feel glad I'm taking a retreat.  

Small things can make me deeply happy and comforted.  I never knew taking a sabbath would be so nourishing for me.  Funny how you never know until you try.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home