dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, March 10, 2006

I have Plan B

My appointment was for 11:20, but the place was packed, all chairs filled. In the waiting room, everyone's bored and staring at everyone else, like on a bus. I feel they don't like my looks. It's that I'm out of style? Or my skirt says I think I'm better than them? Or they're just in a bad mood, so their looks are unloving. I read a Sacramento News and Review. Erik did sudoku. He's the only white one in the room lots of places I take him. His blond head stands out. He might be the man, but he's gentle and out of it.

This place has three waiting rooms. The first has a fish tank you can look at. The second is a little cramped. The third has a bed-thing and some interesting displays about birth control methods available and a poster map about abortion rights throughout the world--the different countries are color-coded. I've read it all.

First they were confused thinking I was there for a follow-up after using the abortion pill. The woman dimmed the lights and had me on a table next to an ultrasound machine before she asked why I was there, and I told her. So she sent me back to waiting room #3 after having me pee in a cup for a pregnancy test. We chatted a little waiting for the results. I didn't feel like I could relate to her. She was speaking to me from TV world.

I waited again, I waited some more, they put me in a room, and I waited another 15 minutes there. It was 1, and I was feeling waves of anger and waves of okay. I wrote in my journal. Finally the nurse practitioner was wearing a purple headband scarf. She didn't give me any trouble for being fat: they are so awesome there. And three dozen free condoms, and a Plan B pack just in case. I feel powerful.

She would like me to go on a progestin-only birth control pill for women who are breastfeeding or have high blood pressure. "Why have I never heard of this?" I asked. I assumed the effectiveness rate must be low, but she said 98%. She asked me if I wanted to try it, but I said I needed to think about it. I really don't want to go on hormones ever ever again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home