dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, April 23, 2006

concert

We had lunch at our third-favorite restaurant in the world, and it was very delicious. Then Erik was nervous about the time. But I wanted to see my dear R, and I won. She was working, and she took a ten, which was actually a 20, and we walked and talked and sat on a bench by where kids were playing kickball, and we told secrets. I love her, and I'm so lucky she understands me just perfectly.

So then we had 15 minutes to get to San Rafael from Berkeley--no problem! Erik was impressed with the bridge we crossed. I like smaller and more dangerous-looking bridges, personally.

He thought we were going to a huge, uh, stadium or something. Ooops, didn't tell him it was at a bookstore. Well, you would think I was exaggerating if I said it was one of the better two hours of my lifetime. We weren't late. Wah! is beautiful. I mean, my absolute favorite kind of beauty. I couldn't even discuss it without sounding like the hoakiest person alive, but I will say she has a stillness to her that makes me feel really calm and safe.

The concert was like a religious service but with more dancing. I felt all my life's musical training had culminated in being in her audience. I chanted my little heart out. There were long gorgeous songs of building intensity until everyone was sort of ecstatic. It was like drugs but with more clarity.

And one English song I didn't particularly care for in the middle, like a break. We were all there for the hindu stuff, Mother freaks. She is quite. She's nuts about Amma. Well, I'm nuts about Wah!

Interesting to see the crowd, interesting to have such a new type of religious experience, interesting. There was the grinning sittar player, the nonchalant tabla player, the older dude on harmonium who seems to be her husband or best friend, and the young, blond guy on keyboards--I loved her most of all. It was very worth the price. I thought it was going to be just her and a guitar. I don't think there were enough people in attendance to even pay their hotel and transportation. I wanted to tip her.

Erik sat almost the whole time. He doesn't chant at all. But he was such a good sport. He got me water. It was just over two hours and felt short. My chair was uncomfortable. Otherwise, this is something I would have done much longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home