dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, April 20, 2006

American River walk

We saw...

* big black velvety butterflies with dots of color on the back edge of their wings

* hyper little white butterflies

* robins

* quail

* starlings

* swallows

* Northern flickers!!!!

* a dog

* a ladybug

* a green lacewing

* huge California poppies

* vetch

* lupine

* thistles

* oaks

* nice vines.

We walked on some mud slick as melty frosting. I fell once and didn't get hurt. We saw two newly-dead minnows in a puddle. The flood waters have half-receded.

I realized I was being overly binary about entertainment. It doesn't have to be that art for money is bad and art for no money is good. I'm sorry.

Erik thinks maybe entertainment is okay sometimes. I'm still thinking about it. If I really like some music, for example, it's not entertainment anymore and becomes authentic experience. So it's just where you draw the line. And arguments about semantics aren't interesting, are they.

I have a predilection for dismissing things completely. Like I hate grades and think they're all bad, all the time. And I get fed up with things like that, I just hate them unreservedly. Grades, money, fashion, etc. A bit extreme.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home