dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

disassociation

I was reading about disassociation online. From what I saw, I think it's only a problem if a person starts doing it before they're nine. I wouldn't have started before I was 10, so I think I'm cool. I also learned there's a relationship between it and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Last night Erik told me he can tell when I do it, too. He said it looks like I'm eavesdropping. My attention is elsewhere. Very interesting.

Yesterday I found myself doing it on the phone. I called this yoga center for information about their Friday night kirtan, the woman I was speaking with was being clingy, and I found myself "going elsewhere" and asked myself, "What am I doing?" then "Oh yeah, I'm on the phone, someone is talking to me." I was listening and responding the way I was supposed to with a tiny part of my brain and just hanging out with the vast majority.

I've always been good at multi-tasking. When I was a kid I would watch TV, talk on the phone, and do my homework at the same time.... Having an intense conversation while answering Jeopardy questions. I have become a lot less sharp as an adult. I used to memorize a phone number after hearing it once. Now I could dial it 20 times and still not know.

A special someone says she thinks it's the SSRIs making us dull. Or maybe it's just age. I don't mind too much because I can still do what's necessary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home