dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, July 08, 2006

heat and loss

It's 99 out but feels hotter. The air conditioner is inadequate. If I lie very still, I'm okay, but I have a headache. I was telling Erik there should be air conditioned public spaces. Like libraries without books. Or the libraries should be open more. Every public service is squeezed so tight until the workers are all poor and crazy. Well, not every public service. Just the ones I like. The post office is pretty bad too, even though they're a real business and have ads.

I had a student who worked for the post office in Folsom. She was nice, older, sat in front, and told me stuff about her life. I embarassed her one time though when she said she was bringing the pies for Thanksgiving dinner.

"How do you make your pastry?" I asked, because pastry is important to me.

"I don't," she said. "I buy the pie crusts already made."

I felt like it doesn't really count as making a pie if you don't make the crust, but I felt stupid to have made her feel stupid, and that's probably why we didn't stay friends even though she liked Wide Sargaso Sea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home