dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, July 07, 2007

some baking, a trip to Davis

Today I baked a carrot cake. The recipe calls for some apple juice, but we didn't have any, so I used orange juice instead, and it really added something.

I also made some baba ganoush with the eggplant I got at the farmers market this morning.

I've been reading Take the Cannoli by Sarah Vowell, and I find Sarah Vowell to be charming, quirky, brilliant, articulate, funny. These are great essays.

Then we went to the bird refuge near Davis and looked at some birds and flowers. Erik took an excellent picture depicting a bee on a white umbra-shaped flower which I will post.



Then we went to the Davis Co-op, not knowing what it would be like, and we loved it. It's a lot more roomy than the Sacramento Co-op, and it was really fun to browse there. I bought some bulk fig bars and carob-covered almonds. Erik wanted goji berries, so we got some of those....

Then we came home. It was a very nice outing. Tomorrow Erik's hiking with his friend T somewhere in the Sierras.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home