dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

eccentric

We went to McKinley park today, for a walk. I couldn't stand to walk around here or around Howe Park again. McKinley park has a duck pond. And a library. We went in so Erik could look at their CDs and DVDs. We got a CD of Indian and Pakistani music--it's good. Lately I've been so bored with my life. So it's good to try what's new.

In the afternoon we went to the thrift store. I got a pair of shorts and a pair of jeans. Both fit very well. I also got some zine-sized envelopes.

For dinner I made bean burritos and guacamole to eat with chips. This was tasty.

It's overcast but warm. I just finished reading a chapbook called Blind Grave Robber. I'll write a review for the next Erik and Laura-Marie. I've started reviewing zines for myself. I like how it's for my own zine so I don't have to live up to anyone else's expectations. For example, I can be as brief as I want. I can be idiosyncratic. Also, ELM is a useful reference. So now I'll have a record of all the zines I read too.

I asked Erik if he thinks I'm eccentric. He asked how I would define eccentric. I said that was up to him. He decided it's when someone lives their life disregarding culture's rules (I can't remember exactly what he said). "You're not answering my question," I said. So finally he said yes.

But I brought up the idea that in order for someone to be eccentric, there needs to be something quirky about their demeanor or their appearance. He said then no, I'm not eccentric.

I have a church friend named S who likes to wear unmatching socks. She is very, very thin. She likes to wear headbands. And lately she's started sticking flowers in her hair, beneath the headband, so they stick straight up. S gives the longest and mostly cuddly hugs of anyone I know. And she is very eccentric.

2 Comments:

  • At March 20, 2008 7:16 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    I think there's a fine line between "eccentric" and "free spirit", though there is definitely a distinction. I don't think appearance should necessarily be a requirement of eccentricity though.

     
  • At March 20, 2008 6:54 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Yes, "free spirit" is another good term.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home