dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, June 30, 2008

my life since Friday

The weekend was enormously enjoyable. I got to spend a lot of time with my mom. We went to Avila Barn and fed the goats and bought veggies for soup. We looked for pumpkin or peach pie for Erik, but there was neither. We got some crunchy toffee covered nuts instead. Then we went to the pier for lunch. I enjoyed the beach. I liked staring out at the water and talking. Then we did some shopping. I don't like shopping in general, but I liked being with my mom. I almost bought Erik's friend T a field guide to insects. Maybe I should have.

Erik spent time at my parents' house with my dad. They watched TV and movies together. Erik read a book of haiku called The Haiku Anthology all weekend. I read a little over his shoulder and liked it.

We're going back in just two weeks for a visit that coincides with my friend J's visit to the area. I haven't seen J in...many years. About 10 years? And even then it was only for a minute at Jack's. He's been busy in other states. We're planning to see one another twice--once with his daughter and Erik, and once just the two of us. I have a hard time in groups, so it's better for me to focus when it's one-on-one. J is one of my favorite people in the world and has been since high school. He's two years older, and I looked up to him and respected him a great deal (I still do). He played piano very well--he played for choir, and I sang alto for a semester. That's how we met. I was going to sing a song for Pizza Pops, a really strange idea because my voice isn't very strong, and I was paired with him as my pianist. So that's how we became friends. Then he and I went out to coffee a lot, back when I drank coffee, and I remember many a Garcia mocha at Cafe Monet--Garcia mocha was a regular mocha with a shot of almond syrup. I think it was my favorite. We talked late into the night and had religious conflict. I think of my friendship with him very fondly and as one of the best things about high school. And now a days, he and I are in touch a lot through blogs and letters and Facebook. Yay Facebook and its status updates.

Today Erik and I had doctors appointments. I need to go periodically so they'll refill my blood pressure medication. My blood pressure today was 120 over 78. So that's okay. Erik went about a lump he's had on his head since he was a kid. It's right in the middle, front and center, and it was hidden by hair for a long time, but now his hair is thinning, and the lump is visible. I was hoping they could refer him to a low cost surgeon, but I guess there's no such thing, around here, and the PA said he should expect to pay between $600 and $800. So we won't be doing that--we were willing to pay up to $300. Maybe one day we'll have health insurance. Anyway, it was Erik's first trip to the doctor in about 15 years.

I have a deadline today for some zine reviews, but all I want to do is sleep. I have two and a half reviews left to write, and one and a half zines left to read. Plus I need to do all the stuff that's at the end of each review: the address, email address, how many pages, how long it took me to read it.... All the address info has to be checked against a database that I don't know how to use. So maybe I'll be up late.

The air is way better now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home