dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, August 08, 2008

are you writing from the heart?

Dear World,

Last night my friend A was in town because she had a post-op appointment in Davis. She had to get a cast, and it's purple.

We went to dinner. At first, we didn't know where to go. A's husband F was sick of Indian food. We decided to go to Thai food, a place we had never been to before called Lemongrass.

We walked in and were surprised to see that it was a fancy restaurant. The eaters were dressed up. I felt out of place. But it was okay. The little child did very well. The waitstaff brought her crayons and paper. The older girl wanted to color too, so F ripped the little one's paper in half. They drew cartoonish animals: cats, puppies, bats, horses. We talked about bats, a time that a bat got in their house and they had to catch it with an improvised net made out of a laundry bag. "Or was I not supposed to mention that for some reason?" the older girl asked. She's very concerned with private vs public knowledge.

I ordered a dish called Monk's Curry. It's a yellow curry with tofu and all different kinds of veggies including some winter squash, a kind I had never heard of before: kabosha squash. My food was really good. Oh, and A ordered an appetizer for us, Crispy Veggie Rolls.

Then we went to ice cream. We went to Cold Stone. I got a small That's How I Roll, which is delicious, but a small was way too much: about twice as much as I needed. I wish they would let adults get kid size, but it specified 12 and under.

Then we went to a Long's Drugs near where I live to look for a metallic sharpie so I could sign A's cast. We found silver, fortunately. I signed A's cast with "LM" and a little heart. The pens came in a two pack, and A gave me the extra pen. Maybe I will use it to address envelopes next time I send out zines.

This morning Erik and I went to Howe park to walk and then do our usual. I read three zines and liked all of them: the anteater's dream, the pleiades #14, and Celso #4. We looked at spiders.

love,
Laura-Marie

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home