dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

ELM #44

I'm really excited about the new zine I have out today, Erik and LM Magazine #44. It's the biggest zine I've ever made! It's 36 pages. Lots of reviews--book reviews and zine reviews. Lots of poems. Some stuff about Vedanta. A guest essay about growing up by my friend Ann. No recipes this time, but I think there will be lots about food next issue.

So I'm still collating and folding and poking holes and binding, but I made a few complete ones so I could look at them.

Today started out kind of bad. We were woken up by a phone call from my friend P. We ended up going to Vedanta in a rush so I could make a tape for Swami. Erik wrote some haiku by the Krishna pond.

Then we went to the copy place so I could copy the zine (I also made 40 more of functionally ill #3). It was super loud and busy in there. They make readers, and school just started--a lot of students came in. There were two little kids there for about 45 minutes--it's kind of hard to explain--but the kids were screamy, and I was already on edge. It took a long time to make all the photocopies--my machine kept jamming, so they decided to use another machine, which made me nervous--I didn't like when they took my originals from me to make copies on another machine themselves. But everything worked out just fine. It cost more than I was expecting, despite my coupon for four cent copies. It made me question whether this is a reasonable endeavor. Postage will be a great burden as well. But it's a really important part of my life, zine making. And I need to communicate. Also, I need to have something to trade. I've made some wonderful friends through zine trades.

Then we went to drop of the manuscript I proofread at P's new apartment (this is the boy P). It was good to see his place. It's a studio, and the kitchen is in the back, which I found strange, but he seems to like it a lot. He's paying $560, I think. We pay $595 for our one bedroom. But his is in midtown, and he can bike to a lot of places. We're out in Arden. But it's good that we're in Arden because it's close to the Vedanta temple.

So we chit chatted for a long time with P. We were both in bad moods, but it was good to be social. Then we went to pay our rent. We lost the piece of paper that has their po box and phone number on it, so we had to go there to the actual office to pay our rent. No one was there, so we put the rent through the mail slot. I guess we'll have to keep going there every month until we finally find some way to get the po box address again. I tried asking neighbors, but they weren't helpful. We don't have relationships with our neighbors. We just try to stay out of their way and not piss them off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home