dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

the mysterious phone call

Yesterday I copied, collated, and folded all of this first run of functionally ill #4. I started the binding and am even sending one out today, to someone I was sending another zine to already. So it's time. Copying yesterday was great--my machine didn't jam even once. I did hurt my back a little--I had to stoop in an uncomfortable way to use the paper cutter. But it only really hurt at the time, not afterward, so no damage.

Today Erik is scoring CBEST in person. I expect a call from him on his lunch break. We're running out of food--when there are no tortillas in our fridge, some serious kitchen mismanagement has occurred. The cupboard is bare. We'll go to Trader Joe's this evening, god willing.

This morning at 8:07 I got a call from someone, and it upset me. Here it is.

him: Can I speak to [my name], please?

me: Yes, you are.

him: How are you today, Ma'am?

me: Fine.

him: I'm calling today about your account with [something something] Dell Credit Card services?

me: ...

him: Are you not aware of this account?

me: No.

him: We need to verify that you haven't been the victim of fraud or identity theft. Can you verify for me the last four numbers of your social?

I am a polite person, usually, but this is where I hung up. So what was this call all about? Have you received a call like this before? What did you do? I assumed it was a scam to get people's social security numbers. Am I being paranoid? This is the second call of this type that I've received.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home