dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, December 12, 2008

birthday visit

Yesterday my friend A had a doctor's appointment in Davis, so she came to Sacramento to visit me. I took her out to lunch at a Lebanese place we like. The food was very tasty. We shared labneh and spinach pies, and she had an eggplant sandwich while I had a falafel salad. I ate almost none of the salad. (I took it home and had it for dinner.)

Then we went for a walk at Howe Park. It was strange to be there without the kids. We spoke of many things.

Then we went to Vedanta so A could see the place, and I showed her everything: fig trees, the temple, the bookstore, strawberry trees, statues, ponds. She even got to meet Swami. "You should show her around," he said.

"I did," I said.

"Everything?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said. It was really fun to have someone to show everything to.

Then the truck wouldn't start, and I thought we were stuck in Vedanta's parking lot, but after many tries, she got it to turn over and keep running. So she took me home. She opened her birthday present.

She was wearing her favorite sweatshirt, which is dark green, one of my favorite colors--I used to have a shirt that color, but it got a hole in it, and that was long ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home