dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

quinoa

Tonight I made quinoa for the first time. Looks like the number one pronunciation is KEEN-wah, according to Wikipedia. It was hard to wash it because the grains are so tiny they wanted to go through my fine strainer. But I rinsed it twice just in the pot, and cooked it up, and I like it. I just tried it with earth balance and salt. Erik likes it too. It has a lot of protein in it, and amino acids, and other valuable food things, but it's a lot more expensive than rice, I think. So we probably won't get it a lot. The first time I ever seen quinoa, my friend M brought a dish of quinoa salad to samiti. I don't remember if I tried it--I think I did. It definitely has a nuttiness. It's good. But I need a finer strainer. The Wikipedia article suggests cheesecloth--I don't have that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home