dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

reading frenzy

This morning I called a worker in Oakland about Medi-Cal forms, and she said to just put them in the mail. I was all dressed up with no place to go, so we decided to go out to Fair Oaks and see the feral chickens. Erik wanted to go to the riverside and write.

So we headed out to Fair Oaks but stopped on the way at a small but very beautiful, peaceful botanical garden. I wrote a letter to my penpal R in England. Erik perambulated. A photographer was there doing a photo shoot with a woman, her dog, and her umbrella. She brought bags full of fake flowers with her and stuck them in the bushes to make it look like they were blooming.

Then we stopped at Rudolf Steiner so we could use the bathroom and so I could look at cards at their bookstore, but the bookstore was closed for inventory. We saw the resident cow, which was nice.

Then we went to the riverside. We walked and sat. I wrote in my journal. There was vetch blooming all over the place, which I love.

After the river, we went to Sunflower and got lunch. I got the nut burger, while Erik got the mushroom millet burger. We split a chocolate peanutbutter shake. We ate at the little park by Sunflower. An adorable black chicken with white cheek wattles stayed near us and made adorable little clucking sounds.

Home again, we started watching Year of the Dog which I got from the library, but we couldn't stand it and jumped ship. Then we read a lot. I finished reading a book of poems called The Heaven-Sent Leaf and got halfway through French Milk before bailing then read all of a graphic novel called Shortcomings.

Got an email from our old friend A from grad school saying he and his two sons are going to Yosemite last week of June and maybe we'll camp together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home