dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, June 15, 2009

The Year of Magical Thinking

The Year of Magical Thinking
I think it's good to think about death even though it's not possible to be prepared. I found this book riveting and fascinating at the beginning, and I wasn't sure I could handle it, but I got through. It started as a 10 out of 10 for me, and by the end I felt I had been taken though a full experience, the full year, and like I had a real sense of how this death had hit Didion, though I didn't keep thinking "this is a perfect book" like I did at the beginning. So that's why I've given it four stars rather than five. It's repetitive sometimes, but always for a good reason. Grief is repetitive, and that's conveyed. I couldn't relate to a lot of the class things in this book--buying houses, staying at the Ritz--but that was okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home