dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, October 19, 2009

doughnut

Yesterday at Whole Foods I got a vegan doughnut. They cost 99 cents. You put the doughnut in a little brown bag, so when you check out, you have to tell the checker what it is. I announced it was a vegan doughnut, and the bagger had a reaction. "Those vegan doughnuts are so good!" she said. I felt embarrassed because I have had them a few times and know how good they are. "Yeah, I've had them, and they're really good," I said. "They're way better than regular doughnuts," she continued. "I haven't had a regular doughnut in so long, I don't remember," I said without thinking. The bagger seemed really turned off by my comment, and I felt embarrassed again, like I'd been bragging. I got the feeling that she thought she was better than me. She left abruptly, without putting the bags into the cart, and I felt weird about it. I don't like grocery store conversation.

It's raining. I love the rain, and Erik's scoring essays with a blanket on his lap and around his legs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home