dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, June 03, 2010

potato salad with caraway

I'm working my way through a cookbook called From the Lands of Figs and Olives, and next I want to make this recipe.

POTATO SALAD WITH CARAWAY
Salatat Batata
Tunisia

Serves 4 to 6

1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground caraway
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
salt
5 large potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley

In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over moderate heat; then add the lemon juice, caraway, cayenne, and salt, stirring constantly. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until some of the liquid in the frying pan evaporates.

Remove from the heat; then add the potatoes and turn gently with a fork until they are coated with the seasoned oil. Place in salad bowl then add the mint, coriander, parsley, and toss. Taste for seasoning; serve chilled.

***

I don't really do cilantro, so I will leave that out. I couldn't find ground caraway, so I think I will try grinding whole seeds myself in a mortar and pestle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home