dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

beautiful day

Yesterday we went to Wrights Lake, Dark Lake briefly, and hiked a little bit from Twin Lakes trail head. We saw so many beautiful sights. And funny sights, like people kayaking with their dogs, and when a squirrel got mad at us and chirped at us from a tree. We heard it long after we passed, so maybe it was chirping at the memory.

My favorite part was probably toward the end when Erik went swimming, my favorite part because I knew he was so happy. The picnic area was quiet--we had it mostly to ourselves. I was reading a backpacking cookbook and tearing little bookmarks from my bookmark to mark which recipes I want to try.

There was a stream with a very deep part, and a place in the stream where the little waves were prismatic and made rainbows in themselves. There was a guy on a bike, and he had his dog with him. The dog barked at us, and he said, "No!" and, "Don't start that shit." Then he rode his bike over a footbridge. There were little kids on bikes who yelled, "Passing!" as they rode by and we stood off the trail.

There were mosquitoes, and I had some natural insect repellent that I sprayed on myself from time to time, and it didn't really work. I wore sunscreen too. I sat on a rock and put my feet in the lake. My feet looked unfamiliar under the water. The water had a coating of pollen on it near the shore--at least I think it was pollen. We didn't see any fish all day.

I worry our car will break down--it has more than 275,000 miles on it. But it was fine. We ate sandwiches and plain soy yogurt, nuts and vegan graham crackers. We drove on narrow roads and never had to back up for anyone.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home