dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, September 30, 2012

vegan arroz con gandules

I think I've perfected my arroz con gandules recipe.  Unfortunately, I don't measure the spices.  I only measure the water and the rice.

around two tbsp extra virgin olive oil
around half cup onion, diced small
around half cup bell pepper, diced small
two - four cloves garlic, minced

about one tsp cumin
about half tsp ground coriander seed
about an eighth of a tsp chipotle chile powder
about a fourth of a tsp turmeric
about three-fourths of a tsp of salt

15 oz can green pigeon peas (Goya brand) aka gandules, undrained
around two tbsp tomato paste
three and a half cups water
two cups white rice

Saute the first group of ingredients for a few minutes.  Then add the spices.  Saute a minute more.  Then add everything else.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer on very low for 18 or 19 minutes.

notes:

We use organic onion and bell pepper form our garden.  The pepper is Purple Beauty.

The spices I list can be replaced by one packet of Sazon Goya con Culantro y Achiote.

Green pigeon peas aka gandules can be hard to find.  Go to the Mexican part of the grocery store though I think they are not Mexican.  They are Caribbean.

You can use half cup tomato sauce instead of tomato paste.  Just eliminate half cup of the water.

Actually it gets burnt a little tiny bit on the bottom.  So I guess I haven't perfected it yet.  But this is close, and maybe in a thicker pan it wouldn't burn?

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home