dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, February 27, 2017

Our Lady of Guadalupe Benedictine Monastery

Yesterday we went to a monastery.  It was Benedictine monks.  Their chanting was so pretty.

But then we talked to a guy who is designated to talk to guests.  His words were less pretty.  He shocked Ming by talking about the necessity of "civilizing" Native Peoples and not wanting to be interfaith and the failure of the overly-intellectual Jesuits.

It was fun to see Ming shocked.  I was like, "What did you expect?"  I liked the guy, but the more time passes and the more I think about it, the more he bothers me.

I wish I had taken pictures for you.  I wanted to snap a photo on my phone of them chanting but I thought that might be against the rules.  We had a hard time finding the right building.  The chapel was not immediately recognizable.

Afterward he met us at the giftshop where I bought some inexpensive cards.  Almost bought some good quality pale green writing paper as well but restrained myself.  It was really nice stationery.

Their specialty is roasting coffee but we didn't buy any of that.   We were told that the Whole Foods in Abq and Santa Fe carry it.  We were like, "Whoop dee doo, good for you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home