dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, June 18, 2017

the opposite of cake

I tried baking a cake for my friend's birthday.  I don't have a mixer, so I tried to beat it like crazy with my arms and a spoon.  The instructions say two minutes.  But it's hot, my arms aren't so stamina-y...  I failed at the equivalent of two minutes.

So Ming helped me by dumping the batter into the prepared pan.  It looked like way not enough batter.  This happened to me before.  Four years ago for Ming's birthday I made a tough cake, same reason.

We're baking it but I already know it's a fail.  Our plan is to go to Costco and buy a cake.  I feel dejected, a little bit, but at least we have a plan.

Last night was a meeting of the Las Vegas Radical Mental Health Collective.  There were 14 people in attendance.  I ran out of nametags.  It was a wild success, and I loved it.

Ming says the cake is looking fine and smelling good.  The batter has filled the pan.  I used an odd-shaped pan--it's white--what do you call that kind of pan?  It's like pryex but white?  Corningware.  I think my first mother-in-law gave it to me.  It's square with rounded corners and has a glass lid.

"Don't let it fool you," I said.  The problem with cakes is they're all or nothing.  I can't really try the cake before the party to make sure it's good.  So I am faced with a decision, and I suck at decisions lately.

4 Comments:

  • At June 18, 2017 1:37 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Maybe do cupcakes next time as then you can test one. ;) And who doesn't like cupcakes?

     
  • At June 22, 2017 1:08 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    great idea!

     
  • At July 07, 2017 4:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    How did the cake turn out?

    I once baked a pink cake for an illegal immigrant Canadian boy I had a crush on.it cracked right down the middle. I filled the cake canyon with frosting and carried on. The Canadian boy liked the cake more than he liked me.

     
  • At July 07, 2017 4:53 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    the cake. I cut a sliver on the edge to try. it was tough. we threw it away. we bought a costco cake that was a hit. nice story about the pink cake! I like you more than I like cake!!! <3

     

Post a Comment

<< Home