dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, July 16, 2017

healing

Yesterday in the morning we went to a park.  As we drove back to the house, a big truck passed us really fast.  We thought he was in a huge hurry.  Then at the intersection we were stopped at a red.  When the light turned green, the guy in the big truck yelled "Donald Trump!" and sped off.

He sounded like he was in pain.  It must be our bumper stickers.  I've had a lot of things yelled at me from big trucks.  Ming seemed to be more curious about it than I was, wondering what he meant.

My thoughts were more like, it's a red town in a blue state.  Of course he's angry and hurting.  Feeling threatened by trans people and worried about Audre Lorde.  He doesn't think the only solution is love.  Maybe he thinks the only solution is force, or money, or domination.  I wonder if he'd admit it.

Mom said he was just a white person in a big truck.  She asked if we flipped him off.  I said we ignored him.

In the afternoon we went to the AG farmers market.  The Asian-American guy who's at the end gave me a green pluot to try.  It was tasty.  We went into an apothecary store and bought a salt spoon, which we needed.  We looked at herb books.  Ming looked up the healing properties of yarrow.

1 Comments:

  • At July 17, 2017 8:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    "Worried about Audre Lorde" is a great line. I think it should be in a poem.

    Was your mom hoping you'd flipped off the man in the big truck? Or was she merely curious?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home