dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, March 24, 2006

what I saw


Today we went to Fry's after work to buy some tapes because we want to make some tapes for Jeff because he only has a tape player in his car. And like the people who don't have cell phones, we're the people who don't have a CD burner anyway.

At Fry's, I saw a bumper sticker that make me so sad: a new conservative marriage bumper sticker. This one is yellow and black, as opposed to the red and white one I'd been seeing. It has stick figure man, stick figure woman, and stick figure kid between them. I told Erik we're not really married since we don't have a kid. And I cautioned him not to get a sex change or we'll be in violation of bumper stickers.

At work when I took a walk, I saw a vetch blooming early in a no-man's-land between parking lots, hemmed in by chain link fences, by the wild tomato plant I loved so much last year and actually ate some of its tomatoes. The huge mounds of freeway vetch aren't blooming yet by the 80 by the Watt exit, our exit.

It was nice to have my dear with me at mutant tree, but they train us like mad, and he was in the other room, so we only took one break together anyway. But it's just good to have him near.

I was wearing shorts under my skirt today and yesterday which makes me look even fatter than I am, and it reminded me of when I was a kid and had to wear a dress to school every day and had to wear shorts underneath if I wanted to play on the monkey bars, which I did.

But that's a very safe feeling to have so many layers of clothing. I didn't have to be so careful how I sat. However, nobody probably knew I was wearing shorts under my skirt and just thought I was sociopathic or some kind of scoring ho. Come to think of it. But screw that.

It's so hot in there in the afternoon and cold in the morning. I kept getting the impulse to take off my shirt, both afternoons. Which is how you know you stay home too much. The mind toys with the idea. Well, if I were wearing a sports bra, it would almost be okay. But I'm not really playing soccer here.

2 Comments:

  • At March 27, 2006 9:35 PM, Blogger redbird said…

    I like this account!

    What is Fry's doing selling political bumper stickers???? Do they hope only the lawfully straight wedded buy their electronics? Weird.

    Yay for vetch!

    I wore shorts under my skirt at the playground as a kid. Once, when I hung upsidedown a boy laughed at my shorts. Then I started to feel embarrassed like shorts, when under skirts, were just as vulnerable and suggestive as underpants. I remember my mom was surprised when I complained that I didn't want shorts under my skirt because then everyone would see my shorts.

     
  • At April 23, 2006 11:59 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    The bumper sticker was on a car at Fry's rather than being sold by them.

    I like you shorts-skirt story. I like you though my response is a day late and a dollar short!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home