dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, July 14, 2006

extra-fruit banana bread

This is what I did: I soaked a handful of raisins and a handful of chopped up dried apricots in some boiling water for a while. Then I kind of mushed them up. I used this bowlful in my banana bread instead of sugar, and I'm telling you, this is some good banana bread.

Also, I stirred the batter right before putting it into the tins--at the last possible moment--so as not to waste the fluffiness caused by the little bubbles caused by the levening agents. Do you get my drift here? So the bread rose more than usual since I had not destroyed the little bubbles while putting the batter into the loaf pans.

Let me just tell you the recipe.

HIPPIE VEGAN EXTRA-FRUITY BANANA BREAD

* 5 mashed over-ripe bananas
* handful raisins, handful chopped dried apricots soaked in boiling water for half an hour and kinda smooshed up with a fork
* tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
shake of cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder (does that seem like a lot? that's what my recipe says, and it's what I do)

Combine wet and dry at the last possible moment. Cook in two loaf pans, 350 for 40 min. Inserted knife comes clean.

Nuts would be good, like a cup of walnuts broken into little pieces. And you could do chocolate chips or carob chips instead of the dried fruit. But then you might want to add a little sugar to the batter to compensate for the lack of fruit.

And you would probably want to oil the loaf pans for easy bread removal, but what I do instead is line the pans with aluminum foil, and then I just wrap the loaves in the foil that baked in, and the foil doesn't stick to the bread at all, for some reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home