dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

three media consumptions

I watched Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns, which is a documentary about one of my favorite bands, They Might Be Giants. I found it inspiring. It made me feel like there are more possibilities in the world for me, a badly-needed feeling.

I've also listened to two new CDs lately (new to me)--Unplugged by Wah! and State Songs by John Linnell. Wah! is a singer who I like best for her yoga music, and this CD was all in English. There are some good messages in the lyrics, but overall I wasn't too crazy about it.

John Linnell is half of They Might Be Giants and had this project to write some songs about the states. Some are easy to like right away, and others didn't stand out, but I will listen to this CD some more.

4 Comments:

  • At June 19, 2007 1:40 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    I enjoyed 'Gigantic'. I also liked watching the music videos that were extras on the DVD.
    The movie featured 2 of my favorite people that I've told you about - Ira Glass (host of "This American Life") and Sarah Vowell ("This American Life" contributor and author).

     
  • At June 19, 2007 4:57 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    I need to talk to you about Sarah Vowell. I found her brilliant and charming. She's the star of the movie!

    Ira Glass--I don't remember who he was.

     
  • At June 19, 2007 10:36 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    Ira Glass = skinny peppy middle aged guy with glasses and wild hair sitting in a radio studio.

    As for SV - "Take the Cannoli" is great - a collection of essays. "Music Lessons" is a favorite, having been a band geek. I highly recommend listening to her books on CD/MP3/whatever....her voice is incredible.

     
  • At June 20, 2007 7:37 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Oh, I think I know who you mean! He's really funny? His hair is dark brown? But I thought he was sort of young, more like our age. Maybe I need to look at the movie again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home