dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

dolphins

This morning we drove to Guadalupe. It was good to see the fields and the old cemetery.

We went to Gaudalupe beach. It was cloudy and windy out, cold but not too cold. There was almost nobody there. We walked for a while then sat on the sand. We saw pelicans. We saw seagulls. But most of all, we saw dolphins. We saw them leap into the air.

Then we got hungry and came back to my parents' house for lunch. We were running out of food. We were down to our last two tortillas and a few pieces of cheese, so I made quesedillas, and I found a can of split pea soup in the cupboard.

I realized we hadn't fed the fish that live in the first bedroom. I realized that this was part of our housesitting duty. I looked for the fish food but couldn't find any. I called my dad, and he said, "I couldn'd find it either. Ask your mom." So I spoke with my mom, and she said she didn't know where it was. She said she hid it from the girls. "Look for it," she said. "Look in the cabinet above the towels. Look in my bedroom. I would have put it somewhere high." So we looked, but we couldn't find it. We realized that the fish hadn't been fed in a long time. Erik was worried the fish would die any minute. I looked at the fish, and they seemed fine. I expected they would have eaten eachother's tails, but both had intact tails.

So we decided to go to the store to buy some fish food. We needed people food also, so we went to a market called Spencer's. Luckily, they had fish food in addition to people food.

There's a box of oranges in the kitchen, and last time we were here, my mom said I should take them and juice them because they have seeds in them so my dad won't eat them. I didn't take them. But coming here this time, I brought a wooden juicing tool. Erik called it a pestle, but it's not a pestle: it has ridges. So this afternoon I made orange juice, and it was very good. I found that the seeds float, so it was easy to pick them out.

For dinner we went out to Charlie Burger in Old Orcutt with my friend S and his girlfriend T. We like the falafel there. S told us about his recent trip to Croatia, Bosnia, and Montenegro. He told us how his business is going. A TV was playing, distracting us. They told us about the shows they like: Dr Who and Battlestar Galactica. I have never seen these shows. S said maybe he would burn me a DVD. I guess we're friends with T now because she didn't seem to mind me hugging her.

Over all, this day was great beccause of the dolphins. I give it an A-.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home