dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Marxist talk, My Architect, dentist annoyance, angry dog

Last night we went to a talk put on by the Marxist School of Sacramento, and it was well worth our time. It was about household labor. The speaker Paddy Quick was making some arguments about how labor happens in the home, and how it should be considered labor, but I was never sure about her "why." It's heartening and stimulating to be in a room full of people who are interested in learning about ideas. I really need the stimulation especially. We spent yesterday at home except for a walk, and it was good to get out.

The other day we finished watching a movie we had been working on for a while. It's called My Architect, and it's a movie made by the son of a famous architect. He's trying to learn more about his dad, who's deceased. The dad had three different families. The movie shows his buildings and includes lots of clips from interviews he did with people who knew his dad. It's emotional and interesting.

My dentist office has been bugging me lately. They called the other day trying to get me to schedule a cleaning appointment even though I already have an appointment in March. Then they called again today to bother me again. This time I answered the phone and told them I was satisfied with my March appointment. So hopefully they'll leave me alone for a while.

Yesterday on our walk we were passing by a man who was fiddling with possessions in the back of his truck. Then a little white dog shot out of a doorway and made a b-line for me, barking its head off. I was really scared it would bite me, but it stopped right at my feet, barking furiously, and the man grabbed the dog, picked it up, and apologized to us, then took the dog inside his house. I was shaken but grateful that I didn't get bitten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home