dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, March 13, 2009

manzana chili verde

Yesterday in the morning we went to my mental health place to pick up medication. We waited an hour. The nurse apologized. I was happy my medication was there because last month, it wasn't.

In the afternoon we went to to co-op for lots of ingredients. We bought jalapenos, poblanos, two yukon gold potatoes, a large yellow onion, a large jar of tomatillo salsa, elephant garlic, granny smith apples, and a large green onion. We also bought avocados, tomato paste, couscous, fake bacon bits, and soy yogurts. We brought our cooler with an ice pack and put some of the perishables in there.

Then we went to McKinley park where Erik ran and I walked. It was very warm, and while I was walking, I wished I was wearing shorts. Then when I sat in the shade reading and writing, I got cold. So it's still an in-between time.

Then in the evening, Erik decided to make the dish we had bought all the ingredients for: manzana chili verde. However, it took a long time, and I helped him by readying the garlic, coring and slicing the apples, reassuring him about the measurements of the potato chunks and pepper slices he cut, stirring the pot, and other small tasks. I had found some old corn tortillas in the freezer, which I thawed under running water and patted dry and warmed in the microwave. So when we sat down to eat, we had a hearty, fabulous meal, and the best thing about it is how different it is from the way we usually eat. It was like going to a restaurant, Erik said. Another good thing about it is the fact that there are leftovers. The recipe is from the Veganomicon.

When I was a kid, my mom made my dad chili verde kind of often, I think with pork, and I'm curious about her recipe and how different it was from the recipe we used for ours.

At night I went to women's writers group--it was two of us at Temple. We looked at poems, wrote--she drank tea while I drank hot soymilk with a shot of caramel (they didn't have almond). Next week we're meeting again and hopefully will have a new person!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home