dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, May 18, 2009

trip

Looks like I'm going on a trip with my parents the first two weeks of July, and the weird thing is that I'm going without Erik. He has to stay home for a couple different reasons. This will be my first trip without him other than a one-nighter I took with my friend P a couple years ago. I think it will be very hard, and I will cry sometimes, but I think it will be worth it because I'll get to attend my brother's wedding, get to visit with my nieces and nephew, and get to spend time with my Nana, who I haven't seen in...more than 10 years? She lives in Missouri. Nana's getting old, and it will be really good for me to spend some time with her although it will be difficult sleeping on the floor in the livingroom--I mean not having a room of my own to retreat to. Looks like when we're visiting my brother, I'll have my own room because my parents will rent a house.

So this has been occupying my thoughts since yesterday evening. At first we were trying to figure out a way to do it with Erik coming too--we would have had to board Kitty. But then we realized Erik would have to give up his unemployment while we were away, and that's $600 we just don't have.

I'm excited about the trip and wish it were tomorrow instead of a month and a week away. I feel ready. Hopefully I'll still feel strong and stable when it's time. When we were talking about it this morning, I cried for a while just thinking about it, and I know there will be more tears, but it should be worth it. I want to think of myself as an adventurer who can be independent and travel and do things, and I'll have my mom to comfort me. Hopefully the stress of travel won't make people too snappy. And hopefully Nana's air conditioner works well. I've decided to compromise my diet because I don't want to make Nana cook vegetarian food for me. I will go back to eating fish and fowl just for the trip, and just when I have to. What else? I think I'll need to wear shorts, so I'm planning on shaving my legs, something I haven't done since I was 17 years old, but my dad especially can't take the sight of a woman with unshaved legs. So that's another compromise. But I can do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home